Sunday, November 05, 2006

Jones in the fast lane (or maybe it's an off-ramp...)

Ladies and gentlemen... I have a job! Actually, I have the equivalent of 1 and 3/4 of a job (2 part-time jobs and another which pays ad hoc). Considering I'm doing my Master's degree next year, I decided to find something to while away some of the time, and which would also enable me to enjoy my life a bit more (and have money for the finer things in life...). So, next year, I shall be maintaining the following odd jobs:

  • Research assistant at the Faculty of Law: The pay isn't amazing, but the hours are and the people I work with are incredibly interesting.
  • I'll still be working at the wine farm, but more regularly now. It's a good job, very steady, and enough perks (especially now that the management has changed...).
  • I am going to do dispute resolution for the rugby academy at one of the Stellenbosch colleges. It's something on the fly, a bit of cash in hand every now and then, and makes perfect sense, seeing as this is what I plan to do with my life one day (hopefully it won't involve people bitching about the red card they got in the previous match, though...).

Right, so that's how I will be funding myself as of next year. Hopefully I will be able to settle the massive debt I have with all the people who bought me drinks this year when I was broke (Ah, Karma!)... Incidentally, this also means I have probably done every single odd job on the planet, including the following:

  1. Carwasher (everyone does this at one point in time)
  2. Debating coach
  3. French Tutor
  4. Male model (I shit you not, there was at least one photo shoot...)
  5. Selling my soul to a cigarette company (long story, this one)
  6. Boxing baby products for a major chain store
  7. Legal consultant (refer to previous post)
  8. Waiter
  9. Radio Presenter (I even won best talk show, at one point in time)
  10. Secretary/Paralegal
  11. Actor
  12. Wine Critic (for an upcoming independent wine website)
  13. Babysitter

The list goes on...

Anyway, so I've noticed a prevalence of these little Blog thingies appearing on all my mates' pages, so I though it would be appropriate to let themselves know some arb details about what colour drink I am as well, and all that jazz... So, here goes... Some of these I even find hilarious, if only it's because they're wildly inaccurate (or are they???).

You Are 36% Paranoid Schizophrenic

You're pretty grounded, though you have your occasional paranoid moments.
Just make sure to ignore those voices in your head!





Your Lust Quotient: 58%

You are definitely a lustful person, but you do a good job of hiding it.
Your friends would be surprised to know that your secretly very wild!








Your Dominant Intelligence is Linguistic Intelligence

You are excellent with words and language. You explain yourself well.
An elegant speaker, you can converse well with anyone on the fly.
You are also good at remembering information and convicing someone of your point of view.
A master of creative phrasing and unique words, you enjoy expanding your vocabulary.

You would make a fantastic poet, journalist, writer, teacher, lawyer, politician, or translator.







Your Sketchiness Factor

You are 47% Sketchy







You Scored 65% Correct

You are a solid child of the 80s
You'd never confuse Tiffany from Debbie
And while you may not know Prince's first #1 hit
You know every word to Little Red Corvette







You Are Spider-Man

Quick and agile, you have killer instincts (literally).
And that kind of makes up for the whole creepy spider thing.





Right, that's about enough of that... Now on to the epilogue...

Music Lyric of the Day: "He doesn't look a thing like Jesus but he talks like a gentleman, like you imagined, when you were young..." (The Killers, "When you were young" - Great song!)

Arb 80's Trivia of the Day: In the 80's, you could wear a "Frankie says Relax" T-shirt without getting shot in the Free State (for being gay) or in the Western Cape (for having no sense of style).

Suggestion of the day: Run around the block once a day. When you live to be 97, you'll thank me... If you can't/won't do that, try to get something published, so that you can at least have something people can always remember you by.

Quote of the day: "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

1 comment:

Katie Possum said...

following my lead on the quizzes, then, are you?!:)
Glad to have you back in the blogosphere!